Part II Listening Comprehension (25 minutes)
Section A Directions:......
Questions 1 and 2 will be based on the following news item.
1. A) Christmas-time attacks made by Somali rebels. B) An explosion at a bus station in central Nairobi. C) The killing of more than 70 Ugandans in Kampala. D) Blasts set off by a Somali group in Uganda’s capital.
2. A) On Christmas Eve. C) During a security check. B) Just before midnight. D) In the small hours of the morning.
Questions 3 and 4 will be based on the following news item.
3. A) It is likely to close many of its stores. B) It is known for the quality of its goods. C) It remains competitive in the recession. D) It will expand its online retail business.
4. A) Expand its business beyond groceries. B) Fire 25,000 of its current employees. C) Cut its DVD publishing business. D) Sell the business for one pound.
Questions 5 to 7 will be based on the following news item.
5. A) All taxis began to use meters. B) All taxis got air conditioning. C) Advertisements were allowed on taxis. D) Old taxis were replaced with new cabs.
6. A) A low interest loan scheme. C) Taxi passengers’ complaints. B) Environmentalists’ protests. D) Permission for car advertising.
7. A) There are no more irregular practices. B) All new cabs provide air-conditioning. C) New cabs are all equipped with meters. D) New legislation protects consumer rights.
Section B Directions: ......
Conversation One Questions 8 to 11 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
8. A) It has a partnership with LCP. C) It specializes in safety from leaks. B) It is headquartered in London. D) It has a chemical processing plant.
9. A) He is a chemist. C) He is a safety inspector. B) He is a salesman、 D) He is Mr. Grand’s friend.
10、A) The public relations officer. C) Director of the safety department. B) Mr. Grand’s personal assistant. D) Head of the personnel department.
11. A) Wait for Mr. Grand to call back. B) Leave a message for Mr. Grand. C) Provide details of their products and services. D) Send a comprehensive description of their work.
Conversation Two Questions 12 to 15 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
12、A) Teacher、 C) Editor. B) Journalist. D) Typist.
13、A) Some newly discovered scenic spot. B) Big changes in the Amazon valley. C) A new railway under construction. D) The beautiful Amazon rainforests.
14、A) In news weeklies. C) In newspapers’ Sunday editions. B) In a local evening paper. D) In overseas editions of U.S. magazines.
15、A) To become a professional writer. C) To get her life story published soon. B) To be employed by a newspaper. D) To sell her articles to a news service.
Section C Directions: ......
Passage One Questions 16 to 18 are based on the passage you have just heard.
16、A) She is both a popular and a highly respected author. B) She is the first writer to focus on the fate of slaves. C) She is the most loved African novelist of all times. D) She is the most influential author since the 1930’s.
17、A) The Book Critics Circle Award. C) The Pulitzer Prize for fiction. B) The Nobel Prize for literature、 D) The National Book Award.
18、A) She is a relative of Morrison’s. C) She is a skilled storyteller. B) She is a slave from Africa. D) She is a black woman.
Passage Two Questions 19 to 21 are based on the passage you have just heard.
19、A) They are very generous in giving gifts. B) They refuse gifts when doing business. C) They regard gifts as a token of friendship. D) They give gifts only on special occasions.
20、A) They enjoy giving gifts to other people. B) They spend a lot of time choosing gifts. C) They have to follow many specific rules. D) They pay attention to the quality of gifts.
21、A) Gift-giving plays an important role in human relationships. B) We must be aware of cultural differences in giving gifts. C) We must learn how to give gifts before going abroad. D) Reading extensively can make one a better gift-giver.
Passage Three Questions 22 to 25 are based on the passage you have just heard.
22、A) She tenderly looked after her sick mother. B) She developed a strong interest in finance. C) She learned to write for financial newspapers. D) She invested in stocks and shares on Wall Street.
23、A) She inherited a big fortune from her father. B) She sold her restaurant with a substantial profit. C) She got 7.5 million dollars from her ex-husband. D) She made a wise investment in real estate.
24、A) She was dishonest in business dealings. B) She frequently ill-treated her employees. C) She abused animals including her pet dog. D) She was extremely mean with her money.
25、A) She carried on her family’s tradition. B) She made huge donations to charities. C) She built a hospital with her mother’s money. D) She made a big fortune from wise investments、
Part II Listening Comprehension
1、B 2、C 3、A 4、D 5、D 6、A 7、C
8、D 9、B 10、B 11、C 12、A 13、B 14、C 15、D
16、A 17、B 18、D 19、D 20、C 21、B 22、B 23、A 24、D 25、C
Part II Listening Comprehension (30 minutes)
Section A Directions: ......
Conversation One Questions 1 to 4 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
1. A) He invented the refrigerator. C) He was admitted to a university. B) He patented his first invention. D) He got a degree in Mathematics.
2. A) He started to work on refrigeration. B) He became a professor of Mathematics. C) He fell in love with Natasha Willoughby. D) He distinguished himself in low temperature physics.
3. A) Discovering the true nature of subatomic particles. B) Their explanation of the laws of cause and effect. C) Their work on very high frequency radio waves. D) Laying the foundations of modern mathematics.
4. A) To have a three-week holiday. C) To patent his inventions. B) To spend his remaining years. D) To teach at a university.
Conversation Two Questions 5 to 8 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
5. A) The injury of some students. B) A school bus crash on the way. C) The collapse of a school building. D) A fire that broke out on a school campus.
6. A) Teaching. C) Having lunch. B) On vacation、 D) Holding a meeting.
7. A) A malfunctioning stove. C) Violation of traffic rules. B) Cigarettes butts left by workers. D) Negligence in school maintenance.
8. A) Sent a story to the local newspaper. B) Threw a small Thanksgiving party. C) Baked some cookies as a present. D) Wrote a personal letter of thanks.
Section B Directions:......
Passage One Questions 9 to 11 are based on the passage you have just heard.
9、A) It is a trait of a generous character. C) It is an indicator of high intelligence. B) It is a reflection of self-esteem. D) It is a sign of happiness and confidence.
10、A) It was self-defeating. C) It was the essence of comedy. B) It was aggressive. D) It was something admirable.
11、A) It is a double-edged sword. C) It is a unique gift of human beings. B) It is a feature of a given culture. D) It is a result of both nature and nurture.
Passage Two Questions 12 to 15 are based on the passage you have just heard.
12、A) She is a tourist guide、 C) She is a domestic servant. B) She is an interpreter. D) She is from the royal family.
13、A) It is situated at the foot of a beautiful mountain. B) It was used by the family to hold dinner parties. C) It was frequently visited by heads of state. D) It is furnished like one in a royal palace.
14、A) It is elaborately decorated. C) It is very big, with only six slim legs. B) It has survived some 2,000 years. D) It is shaped like an ancient Spanish boat.
15、A) They are interesting to look at. B) They have lost some of their legs. C) They do not match the oval table at all. D) They are uncomfortable to sit in for long.
Section C Directions: ......
Now listen to the following recording and answer questions 16 to 19.
16、A) They investigate the retirement homes in America. B) They are on issues facing senior citizens in America. C) They describe the great pleasures of the golden years. D) They are filled with fond memories of his grandparents.
17、A) The loss of the ability to take care of himself. B) The feeling of not being important any more. C) Being unable to find a good retirement home. D) Leaving the home he had lived in for 60 years.
18、A) The loss of identity and self-worth. B) Fear of being replaced or discarded. C) Freedom from pressure and worldly cares. D) The possession of wealth and high respect.
19、A) The urgency of pension reform. B) Medical care for senior citizens. C) Finding meaningful roles for the elderly in society. D) The development of public facilities for senior citizens.
Now listen to the following recording and answer questions 20 to 22.
20、A) It seriously impacts their physical and mental development. B) It has become a problem affecting global economic growth. C) It is a common problem found in underdeveloped countries. D) It is an issue often overlooked by parents in many countries.
21、A) They will live longer. C) They get along well with people. B) They get better pay. D) They develop much higher IQs.
22、A) Appropriated funds to promote research of nutrient-rich foods. B) Encouraged breastfeeding for the first six months of a child’s life. C) Recruited volunteers to teach rural people about health and nutrition. D) Targeted hunger-relief programs at pregnant women and young children.
Now listen to the following recording and answer questions 23 to 25.
23、A) The guaranteed quality of its goods. B) The huge volume of its annual sales. C) The service it provides to its customers. D) The high value-to-weight ratio of its goods.
24、A) Those having a taste or smell component. B) Products potentially embarrassing to buy. C) Those that require very careful handling. D) Services involving a personal element.
25、A) Those who live in the virtual world. B) Those who have to work long hours. C) Those who are used to online transactions. D) Those who don’t mind paying a little more.
Part II Listening Comprehension
1、C 2、B 3、C 4、D 5、D 6、B 7、A 8、C
9、D 10、B 11、A 12、A 13、B 14、C 15、D
16、B 17、D 18、A 19、C 20、A 21、B 22、C 23、D 24、A 25、B